Parent and Healthcare Provider Cord Blood and Tissue Collection Instructions
To achieve the highest quality cord blood collection and storage potential, please refer to the collection instructions enclosed in the kit. These instructions will guide you from the time your kit arrives through the pickup of your baby’s cord blood sample.
- Parents should refer to instructions titled PARENT INSTRUCTION.
- Healthcare Providers should refer to instructions titled PROVIDER INSTRUCTION
PARENT INSTRUCTION – PRIOR TO DELIVERY
Throughout this entire cord blood and tissue banking process and in the future, remember our staff is available to assist you every step of the way. Please feel free to contact us anytime. The following steps will guide you through the process and outline what you can expect from Securacell.
- Open your baby’s cord blood/tissue collection kit and remove any enrollment paperwork included in your kit. (Do not worry, items that need to remain sterile for the collection of your baby’s cord blood are wrapped and packaged separately).
- Complete any paperwork that was sent with your kit. If you have already completed your enrollment paperwork, you will skip this step.
- Submit completed enrollment paperwork to Securacell. Mail in the pre-addressed envelope. You can also fax to 330-833-5230 or scan and email the paperwork to email@example.com.
- Remove the “Informed Consent for Infectious Disease Testing” from the Maternal Blood Draw Supply bag. Sign this consent and return it to the bag.
- Pack your baby’s cord blood/tissue collection kit with the bags you are taking to the hospital.
- One of nurses will be in contact with you after you receive your kit to review the “delivery day” procedures with you and answer any questions you may have.
- When you arrive at the hospital, give your cord blood kit to your labor and delivery nurse. She will take care of the kit until after your baby is born.
PARENT INSTRUCTION – CALL SECURACELL NIGHT OR DAY
And let us know your baby is here!
When you call Securacell to arrange for your baby’s cord blood/tissue sample to be picked up, we will walk you through the packaging of your baby’s sample.
We will also ask you:
Your baby’s name:______________________________________ (It is okay if you have not decided on a baby name)
Is your baby a boy or girl:________________________________
The date and time of your baby’s birth ______________________
Your hospital room number: ______________________________
PARENT INSTRUCTION – PACKAGING THE CORD BLOOD & CORD TISSUE FOR PICKUP & SHIPMENT TO THE LAB
Your nurse may help you with this part if they are able to do so.
- Complete the bottom of the enrollment form with your baby’s name, sex, date and time of birth.
- Using contents provided in the kit; place the blood bag into the Therapak Biohazard bag. The white absorbent sheet remains in the Therapak.
- Seal the Therapak bag.
- Using contents provided in the kit; place the Cord Tissue collection container in the biohazard bag and seal it.
- Place the both sealed bags containing the cord blood and Tissue into the square silver Thermal bag and zip-lock the bag closed.
- Place ALL contents (cord blood, cord tissue, and maternal blood into the Securacell Box.
- Place Securacell box into the pre-addressed FedEx plastic shipping Clinical Pak
- Call Securacell at 1-866-836-2355 to notify us of your baby’s arrival night or day. One of our medical professionals will walk you through the packaging process. We will then arrange for the courier to pick up your baby’s cord blood sample.
IMPORTANT – Keep cord blood at room temperature and in the mother’s room.
DO NOT REFRIGERATE
PROVIDER INSTRUCTION – PRIOR TO DELIVERY
- Collect Maternal Blood Sample – a maternal blood draw is required within 48 hours before or after delivery.
- Using the Maternal Blood Draw Supplies provided in the client cord blood collection kit – Using the vacutainer blood tubes provided, collect 2 purple top and 1 red top tube of maternal blood when you start the IV if possible. If you cannot use the tubes provided, please substitute with the same color tubes.
- Return the tubes to the felt holder, place the felt tube holder in the plastic bag, seal it, and return it to the kit.
PROVIDER INSTRUCTION – COLLECTING CORD BLOOD
Keys for successful collection:
- A higher volume of cord blood will be collected if the collection takes place before the placenta is delivered.
- If the placenta has been delivered prior to the collection of cord blood, the placenta MUST BE ELEVATED and the blood bag MUST BE BELOW the placenta to allow gravity to assist in the process.
- The more cord blood that is collected, the higher stem cell yield.
- Open the Sterile Pall Cord Blood Collection Unit onto the sterile field. Bag is ready for cord blood collection after the birth of the baby.
- After delivery; clamp the umbilical cord close to the baby, leaving the cord as long as possible.
- Wiping UP from the clamp towards the placenta with the included ChloraPrep Pad. Allow the cleaned area to dry for 20-30 seconds.
- Remove cap from needle and insert the needle into the prepped area of the umbilical cord vein.
- Keep the blood bag lower than the cord and the blood will flow by gravity into the blood bag.
- The blood bag should be half full in approximately 5-8 minutes. Patience is the Key.
- You may “milk” the cord with your hands to collect the excess blood that remains in the umbilical cord.
- When the blood flow stops, remove the needle from the cord.
- For your safety, from the bottom of the needle, slide the DonorCare Needleguard over the exposed needle.
COLLECTING THE CORD TISSUE
Remember to start this part of the process AFTER the cord blood has been collected.
- AFTER CORD BLOOD COLLECTION…
- Cut the greatest length of cord possible and place in the green topped sterile collection container.
- Seal container and place in biohazard bag and seal bag.
SECURING THE CORD BLOOD SAMPLE
- Place a cord clamp on the tubing 4″- 6″ above the collection bag.
- Tie a knot in the tubing for extra protection
- Double fold the tubing and use the second cord clamp to secure the folded tubing.
- Complete the cord blood bag label and place on the cord blood bag.
AFTER COLLECTION AND SAMPLE IS SECURE
- Complete the Cord Blood Collection Worksheet and put it with the sample in the Therapak Biohazard Bag.
- Return kit to the patient.